A visit from friends and a trip up Penang Hill


It was a treat this week to connect with some friends from Canada, Bob and Ann Wiebe. When we are surrounded with new friends, the comfort of old friends is a good thing indeed!


Bob and Ann joined us for dinner for my birthday - western food at Chili's - yay!


We also had breakfast at Khaleel's and discovered a yummy treat - roti tisu, which is a very thin crispy roti rolled into a pyramid and drizzled with something sweet. Ann and I both enjoyed it!


There were seven of us at breakfast that morning and their names were Bob, Bob, Bob, Ann, Ann-Marie (and Karin and Heather, but that's not so funny!) So after breakfast I had to take a picture of all the Bobs!


And we all noticed something interesting about all these Bobs....


After breakfast we took the funicular train up to the top of Penang Hill. It was amazing how much cooler and fresher the air felt at the top! (Altitude 735 m) On clear days there is an amazing view of the city of Penang and the ocean surrounding it, but we had an overcast day so the view was somewhat shrouded by mist.


Unfortunately, this week in Penang is a school vacation for the local schools, so the train was quite crowded and we have discovered that people here in Asia don't seem to require as much 'personal space' as we might prefer!




Heading up the hill - it was amazing how steep the tracks became. We got a close look at the jungle right beside us as we rode for the 30 minute trip, but thankfully didn't see any snakes sunning theselves on the tracks!



Somewhat hazy, but still beautiful view of the island, the Strait of Malacca and the mainland.




Ann and I sat with an iced lemon tea enjoying the cool air and the view and the quiet....Asia is typically a very noisy place and it's hard to find a quiet place, so we soaked it in!


These spiders in their intricate webs were everywhere and they were huge - the size of a small hand at least! At the end of our day I stopped in the bathroom and as I closed the door one of these spiders was right in the corner by my hand - I quickly decided that I didn't need to use the facilities after all!

This was the first 'touristy' thing that we have done since we moved here to Penang. I guess when you know you are coming for a long time you don't have to 'do it all' in the first week!
Until next time,
Karin



Comments

Cheryl said…
great pics... thanks for sharing. that thing you're eating looks interesting and large! lol

Popular posts from this blog

Hike to Turtle Beach ( and just a little side note to say that Rachel is the Best!!!)

Penang Skies

Settling into life in Penang