Random Blogging #2

One thing we have discovered here in Asia is that very often English words are used in unusual ways. Example - what we call private or group tutoring in Canada is called tuition here in Penang. You can go to get your hair done at the Hair Saloon. We see t-shirts that will have statements that don't even make any sense! One of Rachel's friends here even has a collection of 'things that don't make sense' since there are just so many.

Bob bought a tin of cookies yesterday...

...don't know if you can read the small print, but it says 'Hilarious Mix of Assorted Biscuits'.

I'm trying to adjust to these new uses of the English language, and look at things as 'different' instead of 'wrong'....but....hilarious cookies?

Wondering in Penang,

Karin :-)

Comments

Tara said…
I think you can categorize those as adventures in bad translations!
Anonymous said…
I've often heard mistakes like that referred to as "Engrish"- if you go to Engrish.com there are a lot of examples! (Though the name does have somewhat rascist connotations, as it makes fun of Asian speakers of English and their accents.)
Anastasia said…
personally, I think it is Hillarious.
Cheryl said…
The different use of english is definitely something we've had to get used to as well. It just shows us and our kids that the Canadian way isn't the 'right' way, it's just a 'different' way. I'm constantly asking my fellow staff what in the world they're talking about! One funny one was the principal saying someone 'spat the dummy out of the cot'. what?!? It means threw a fit. Like a baby spitting their soother out of the crib.
Never a dull moment! Now it becomes a matter of remembering which are the accepting Canadian phrases and which ones are Kiwi!
Cheryl said…
oh yah, and the 'tuition' thing is very british. they use it here all the time. it just sounds strange, eh?
Adam Koleba said…
I'm curious, what kind of boat is pictured on your most recent post?
Anonymous said…
Wow..what exciting and some not-so-exciting adventures you are having. And what an education for Rachel and Josh. I remember when we were in Yellowknife that you 'white guys' were 'others' on forms you filled out. It never hurts to experience that! Sometimes I feel like you aren't very far away at all when we talk on Skype, but today I feel like you are a million miles away, and I want to give you a hug. Love to all of you, and keep on blogging!

Popular posts from this blog

Hike to Turtle Beach ( and just a little side note to say that Rachel is the Best!!!)

Penang Skies

Settling into life in Penang